Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mayank Maggie


He would puncture a cycle to take revenge for his friends. He wouldn’t stop playing Holi until everyone was drenched with water and colour. He reminded me of the typical Bollywood character one would try and associate a mischievous boy with, someone like Sharukh khan. He would take responsibility for me and my girl friends whenever we would venture out into the Melas. He loved playing cricket. He was there through all the colony functions as I danced my heart out. He would wait for me along with 5 others for a good 2 hours; as I sat and tried to finish my milk every evening; as mother threatened me that I couldn’t go out to play otherwise, and when it would slowly become dark; as I would step out, instead of glaring at me like the others, he would say ‘let’s play hide and seek?’ He was there for all my birthday parties and all the family functions. Some days we would spend hours playing, running around living life as children. Sometimes, he was an older brother to me but slowly we grew distant.
We stopped talking and acknowledging each as we grew older. We would each exchange a slanting stare and immediately look the other way ignoring the lovely childhood we’d spent together. As I grew even older, I started to think he was a creep. I had my reasons. And soon enough, Mayank didn’t belong to my present life. He was buried somewhere deep within the layers of my life.
He knew me at my genuine best, at my purest. He was my friend in the early years of my life and he accepted me just the way I was. That’s what brought the many tears to my eyes when I heard one day that he had passed away. That he had suffered miserably and finally left me. Selfish me? I don’t know about that.
It rained heavily on the 15th ma told me. They say he was a noble sole, of that however, I’m pretty sure.
Here’s to Mayank, and the very many golden memories that we shared together. Little did I know as a littal girl that one day, this day would arrive. To us, life was about laughter, and fun and games. I can be honest I loved it that way.
Here’s to Mayank Maggie, because I found that funny once long time ago…

No comments:

Post a Comment