Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Like a night in the forest.....

I was supposed to find answers to all that was on my mind. They lingered around me just like the silence of the dark forest. All I could see were flashing lights. It was more like a pathetic dream sequence, one that would make you dizzy and nauseatic. I continued to drag myself up, as I could feel every muscle in my calve stretch and pinch with pain. I kept going, even as I got breathless. I was finally escaping, I was breaking through. I had to do it for myself. My stomach twisted and soon I was facing a cramp. The dry grass cut my fingers gently as I grabbed it to regain my balance. I din’t know anybody around me. The ones I knew lagged far behind. They asked me if I needed any help, but I refused. I wanted to get up on my own, just like every young man or woman strives to. It was killing, but soon i started to get used to it. I realized I was not the only one who was going through struggle, the thought of which comforted me a little. The torch lights continued to flash in and out of my face like the reflections of rays off a mirror. I heard unfamiliar voices all around me. I had to trust them. The last pull was full of vengence. I had made it to the top after a lot of hard work. At first it seemed ridiculous, but as soon as I opened my eyes to witness the height at which I stood with the world glittering below me, I realised the pain was all worth it. I stood there for a moment gazing into the dark expanse. I stood there, slowly getting lost into the maddening world and its miracles. Suddenly I felt somebody behind me. My friend had made it to the top too. I was not alone anymore and the view infront of us grew more meaningful as we shared the vision. The stars were out guiding us with their soft light. We halted for a sip of water that never tasted as sweet and pure. We moved on crossing peak by peak and everytime it was a new adventure, a new experience, a new story that unfolded into the deepness of the forest.

I dint get much time for introspection, only the small brakes we took to when our body seemed to be getting over worked. I realized that was time enough to ponder over my thoughts and my fears. I realized that sometimes you just had to move on with the flow and not think so much. I realized we wasted most of our lives in contemplating, and missing out on the beauty widtheld infront of us.

The night masked everyones face. All I could hear was their voices and the breaths they ran out of. There was a point when time really tested me as I stood stranded on the edge of the mountain. The sadist gravel got carresed as it past through my wet fingers. It slowly slid, as if mocking me, enjoying my helplessness. Making me believe that there was no hope and no one to love me or save me. I hung on for dear life as I prayed to God. It was my weakest moment. I tried holding on until the gravel almost gave way. All that posed infront of me was emptiness, the end of the cliff, making me feel as if all that I had believed in, the hold on for life was worth nothing. I slipped.

When I opened my eyes in disbeleif I was in his arms, completely protected. He held onto me, as if he was holding on to his life. His grip was so promising, that it gave me courage to move on. I stood shocked for a few seconds, voiceless. I felt I could lie in his arms for eternity. We were so close I felt his eye lashes brush upon my wet forehead. Nothing seemed more secure. We comprehended and conversed all there was to be understood between us through our strong breaths. He helped me cross the forest, the wicked forest. We did lose our way, but he never let loose of my hand. He helped me climb up mountain after mountain. He pulled me, dragged me, but never lost faith in me. We never spoke throughout. And in the morning, when the faint rays of the sun sparkled slightly over our faces and when the light finally revealed our truth, I lost him.

The trek was finally over. We had made it. My body throbbed like a broken heart’s beat. There were so many of us, and I could recognize none after an entire night’s journey. It was like the truth was again lost behind the masked men that led us through the dark night. I wondered which face or which hand had carried my life so carefully for those few moments. That’s all I remember from that night. We drove back to our homes to face a new day. The trek would always be like a stained memory. One stained with almost complete darkness. But one that taught me so much about the light of life…

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I really have no words babe. This one just killed it. I'm still reeling in the aftermath... Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the experience too. Different in its own ways.Scarier than yours in part.Nicer in others.But I'm glad it happened.And that the light of life did teach us so many lessons that night.And the morning after.

    ReplyDelete